Saturday, January 12, 2008

Eat, Love, Knit, but don't pray

I seriously feel like I could sit on the couch all day and work on a project. It's really all I did yesterday. It has a perfect accompaniment to my book-on-iPod, which I finished last night around 9:00.

I can't say the book "changed my life" (which apparently was the tone of Oprah's show on the subject). I found reading through some of the reviews on amazon to be more entertaining and interesting that the book itself. The chapter on India was my least favorite part, and I might have skipped through chapters had I been reading it. At first I came out of it with a sort of realization of "wow, I must not be a spiritual person at all," but then decided that this was not true. Instead, the author just thinks she's a gazillion times more spiritual and important than just about anyone else in the world.

I just went to the author's website and it kind of summed it up for me. There are huge (I'm talking huge) pictures of her face on every page. It's a little too much.

Anyway, I did get a bit emotional while listening to it, but it was the result of the sweater I was knitting. Having finished Dad's scarf earlier in the day, I got back to working on the sweater my Mother-in-Law had been working on before her death. I was binding off for the shoulder (3 stitches every row for 12 rows) when I realized that the last row (minus the ribbing, but we'll forget that) was 108, a number whose sacred nature is pounded into your head by the book. I cried a little bit.

No comments: