Monday, February 25, 2008

Seeing auras

No, not those cool ones that supposedly surround people and that are only seen by people with "the gift." I believe I experienced my first ever migraine aura. Oddly enough (although not unusual) it was not followed by a headache.

I was cooking away at my client's house when I realized that there were squiggly zigzaggy lines on the left side of my field of vision. It was like tons of prisms, or reflections on a lake. At first it was just my left eye, but then I could see it with my right, and it didn't matter if I closed my eyes--they were still there.

Looking at my hand, it was as if it were cut in half by the squigglies. It was extremely disconcerting, and gradually got worse so I decided to call my insurance company and find out if there was an urgent care clinic nearby that I could go to. When I eventually got a live person, he was completely useless, and by then it seemed to be getting better so I just said "never mind" and hung up before he could finish asking if there was anything else he could help me with today.

If you want to know what it was like, this image is a pretty good simulation.

They did finally go away after about 20 minutes. I also had some weakness in my left arm and was pretty nauseated, but it all went away and I was able to go to my second client of the day's house. For a while I was afraid I wouldn't be able to drive home!

My mom had migraines before she went through menopause, so I called her up. She didn't always have auras, but she described exactly what I saw, and apparently her mom got them too but didn't realize what they were.

I'm glad that I didn't get the headache (although apparently the auras can precede them by up to 24 hours). We had dinner tonight with friends I haven't seen in a while, and I would have hated to miss it. I had butternut squash soup and some fresh gnocchi with spinach. It was tasty.

No comments: