Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Mardi Gras 2008 Recap

We flew in Thursday night and met our friends and my parents for dinner at Herbsaint (excellent).

Friday was Diva Day









Friday Night was the 9th Annual Friday Night Before Mardi Gras Party to raise money for the Belle Reve AIDS Hospice and a few other charities. The invitation for this "Gay Ball" specifies "Black Tie, Costume or Drag." I wore my costume and people wanted to have their picture taken with me:



Saturday night was the Endymion Extravaganza at the Superdome. This was R's 3rd year to ride...



and my 3rd year wearing this dress to a MG Ball (twice to Endymion and once to Orpheus). I had on ugly brown skechers under this previously drink-stained dress.



Kevin Costner was Grand Marshall:



I was up near the stage for the Go-Go's (Great show...can't believe Belinda Carlisle is FIFTY!) and Cowboy Mouth (great as usual, but I wish Fred would just talk less and play more songs), but I stayed at our table for the Doobie Brothers.

This is why smart people don't wear cute strappy shoes to this party:



The time on my camera is off, but that picture was probably taken some time around 4:30 a.m.

The time on these is 4:59 a.m., back at the condo:



We got up around 1:30 on Sunday, lounged around and then watched Bacchus on St. Charles waiting for our friend Jill's husband's float to get to us. When he passed, R and I went back up to the roof of the condo to see the tail end pass us on Tchoupitoulas. Check out the stream of cop cars following behind (that's Jim...his friend owns the condo)



and Monday afternoon we flew home.

I did get quite a bit of knitting done. Our flight to New Orleans was delayed, and there was plenty of down time during the days. I finished knitting my market bag on the parking shuttle



and seamed it up and felted it in the washing machine when we got home. You may notice that the handles look different. That's because I seamed the base up incorrectly and had to cut them and re-join them after I felted.

No comments: